Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine's Day... Hallmark or Holiday?


I often wonder who the romantics are and wh0 the cynics are. I think it's easily determined according to each person's thoughts on Valentine's Day. My husband and I decided to be frugal this year. We each got the other a card. I got him a small box of chocolates, and he got me two pink roses. I also made him a gift - a very clever (imho) coupon book, and I wrote him a short poem. We went to dinner together sans kids - very early as he doesn't make reservations - and it was blissful.

Now - did we do enough for eachother? I believe so! I suppose that Valentine's Day was originally a true observance or commemoration of something or someone that I have heard about in legends, but I think now that it's mostly a Greeting Card Company Marketing Technique. Obviously, the American public buys into it wholeheartedly. I "participate," but with reservation because what exactly am I celebrating? Perhaps I am celebrating my love for my husband, children, and God, but don't I celebrate that every day? If I don't give a Valentine to my husband, does that mean I love him less? My answer is no. Would I feel a little guilty if I didn't. Yes, I would. Perhaps Valentine's Day is a celebration of love, and perhaps it's just another day. It's a tug-of-war for me.

Oh well. Who's a cynic and who's a romantic?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails