Sunday, June 17, 2007

Eccentric, or just Different?

Peculiar, unusual, odd, strange, weird, bizarre.
Departing from conventional or established norms or patterns.

Aren't we all eccentric by these definitions... at least some of the time?

I've never thought of myself as eccentric. I would say that I have some strange or unusual habits or behaviors, but I do not see them as bizarre. Perhaps others would.

Here's one. When I have my meal, if I am going to eat dessert, I must save some of my entree or bread to eat after my dessert. I don't like to end my meal with a sweet taste in my mouth. Another thing some may find unusual is that I have to have a little carbonated soda (usually Sprite) in my wine, or I won't drink much of it, if any. I also cut both spaghetti and salad with a knife. My husband thinks I'm crazy for cutting spaghetti! I just like to take rather small bites instead of slurping up long strands of noodles. I also don't like eating cold ketchup. I'd rather store the bottle in the pantry rather than the fridge.

Recently, my daughter got gum stuck in her hair. Everyone asked me if I used peanut butter to remove it, and my terse reply was, "Absolutely not!" I will eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches occasionally, but I have a strong aversion to the smell of peanut butter on hair. Go figure! I blame it on the smell of certain hair products my students have used over the years. It reminds me too much of stale peanut butter, and I can't imagine putting peanut butter on the hair on purpose!

I don't like to dry my clothes completely in the dryer. I prefer to fluff them up in the dryer for a few minutes with fabric softener then let them hang to complete drying. And... a strange habit of mine is that when I step into the shower, I have to wash my hair before I do anything else. The reasoning for that is simple. If I don't, I will forget if I washed it or not! Hence, my name "Forgetfulone."

Perhaps these are peculiar, perhaps weird, possibly normal depending on who's judging the standards, but I guess these would qualify as my eccentricities.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by the working moms blog I write for...

    Very interesting "eccentric" traits you have...the whole warm ketchup thing? You are the second person today I have heard that from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess our eccentricities makes us "unique" individuals :)

    By the way, I just added you to my link :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails