Saturday, June 02, 2007

Stuck in the Middle


















I grew up in a small town about 30 minutes north of Houston.








Now I live in a suburb just south of Houston (this is a picture of Houston, not the suburb). The "small" towns around this metropolitan area are a thing of the past.






We've pretty much been sucked up by Houston. But, I maintain my existence just outside Houston, in the 'burbs because I am stuck between wanting to be a city mouse and wanting to be a country mouse.

The advantages to the "suburb mouse" lifestyle where I am, in particular, include access to great restaurants, fabulous shopping, and conveniences that are close to home such as movies, groceries, golf courses, parks, and amusements. But it also means not being able to hear my neighbor taking a shower, and not having to deal with the inner-city crime of our area. Oh, yeah, we have crime, but not the daily muggings, prostitutes on street corners, homeless panhandling, and things that I see whenever I am in the city of Houston.


We are very near the Kemah Boardwalk with all of its attractions (pictured left). In addition, we are near Seabrook, Texas with its laid-back charm (pictured right). We have access to beautiful lakes, and the beaches of Galveston (and Schlitterbahn waterpark) are less than an hour away.






So, I'm stuck in the middle. I don't enjoy the hustle and bustle of a city, but I am glad there is one close so that we have access to cultural arts, museums, sports venues, and so on. On the other hand, the peace of the country cannot be matched. Crickets, birds, deer, clear skies, and a no-worry attitude are my favorite aspects of the country. In fact, my dear husband and I are planning a get-away to the hill country of Texas next weekend where we will have our own private cottage, jacuzzi, and access to the river as well as antique shopping and sight-seeing if we choose. No phones, no kids, no deadlines, no worries. Peace and tranquility!



I must admit, that would get boring for me. I need to be where I have access to the conveniences of a city, even if I don't venture into the city that often. At least it is an option. We are also located in a diverse, mostly affluent area due to the Johnson Space Center (NASA) being only minutes away. I guess I am pretty happy being stuck in the middle! I can have it both ways.






















6 comments:

  1. I liked the pictures very much and your reflections. I had a good insight of the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're smack dab in the right place for you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, am a country and a city mouse. I often talk with my husband about moving to Texas, as my best friend lives there in a town near Houston (ironically) called Magnolia. We love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've included some nice images here! My sister recently moved to Austin, which is quite the change in scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally relate to your post! I am a true city girl from LA and SF, living in the "country". (They still hold annual rodeos here!)

    Your area of TX looks beautiful and close to fun stuff to do!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails