Monday, July 14, 2008

Heads or Tails July 15th


Today's Heads or Tails, brought to you by the wonderful Skittles, is...

Heads - Joke!

Go to the Heads or Tails homepage to see how to play, view other participants, or check out what's up for next week!


I'm not going to tell you a joke. I am one of the worst joke-tellers on the planet. It just doesn't sound the same or come out right when I retell a joke, and the ones I come up with on my own are usually pretty lame. What I am going to tell you about is a joke that was played on me by Papaw the Prankster when I was a little girl. I loved him so much.


My grandparents, Mamaw and Papaw, lived in Arkansas, while we lived in Texas. It was always a treat to see them! Mamaw was the practical one who kept Papaw in line, at least most of the time. Oh, the trouble he would get us kids into, but Mamaw always knew which "kid" created whatever mess we were in.


We were visiting at Christmas time when I was about four or five years old. I actually remember very little about this practical joke, mostly only what I've been told of it over the years. There was a pretty red box under the tree for me this year. All kids get so excited over presents, and I was no different. I was anxious to see what was inside that box. When I finally got to open in, you'll never guess what was in it!


Not a pretty new doll. Not a dress-up set. Not a ball. Not a game. Not even coal! It was my Papaw's old, smelly, dirty boot. Boot! Not boots. Just one filthy work boot. Everyone knew it was Papaw's idea of a practical joke, and my dad might have even helped him pull it off. But I cried and cried. At the time, I didn't think it was funny. He thought it was a hoot, not that I cried, just the thought of wrapping up an old boot. When I cried, of course he felt terrible. I was supposed to have a doll. And I did get it. I look back now and think it's hilarious!


My Papaw planned the ultimate practical joke! He's been gone since 1996, the year my twins were born. He was 98 years old, I miss him dearly, jokes included.

9 comments:

  1. That is a nice story and a dear memory to have. I am sure you were devastated to get an old boot for a gift.

    I have a joke for HoT and it is posted at my place:An answer to the age old question of 'What goes Ha Ha Kerplopp?'

    -Bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! I love hearing memories! I can just imagine my grandpa doing something like that and just sitting there thinking he's hilarious and then feeling bad when we would cry. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! I feel so bad for five-year-old you! And I imagine your Pawpaw felt so much worse! But he reminds me of my father. I, too, wrote about a practical joke played on me...

    Happy HoT!
    -smarmoofus

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love practical jokes, to play them and to have them played on me. But......as an adult, not a poor innocent child. That was cruel. You're a bigger person than me...I would not have found that funny.

    Glad you DID get your doll tho.


    My joke entry is shared. Come on over if you can. It's a different version of "a joke" than any other I know; outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you got the doll and a memory to boot!
    LOL - if that did not happen, then you would never remember the doll.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny now, but I can imagine how upset you were then. I love playing jokes on my kids, so I have to keep the smelly boot in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great memory and awesome post! Thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doesnt every little girl dream of a dirty old boot?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute story! We called our grandparents Pa-Paw and Ma-Maw also. I miss mine too!

    Take care - Kellan

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails